1 United States singer and film actress (1922-1969) [syn: Judy Garland]
2 a city in northeastern Texas (suburb of Dallas)
4 flower arrangement consisting of a circular band of foliage or flowers for ornamental purposes [syn: wreath, coronal, chaplet, lei] v : adorn with bands of flowers or leaves; "They garlanded the statue"
EtymologyFrom gerlande (compare French guirlande).
- French: guirlande
Garland, which in French originally denoted "wreath of flowers", may refer to:
- Garland (decoration), a class of decoration, of which there are many types
- Garlands, the name of the Cocteau Twins' 1981 debut album
- Garland Publishing, a scholarly publisher, now part of Taylor & Francis Group.
- Garland Group, a manufacturer of restaurant rquipment.
- Fifteen vessels of the Royal Navy have been called HMS Garland
PlacesIn the United States of America:
- Garland, Arkansas, a town in Miller County, Arkansas
- Garland, North Carolina, a town in Sampson County, North Carolina
- Garland, Nebraska, a village in Seward County, Nebraska
- Garland, Pennsylvania
Texas, a suburb of Dallas, in Dallas County, Texas
- Garland Independent School District, headquartered in Garland, Texas
- Garland, Utah, a city in Box Elder County, Utah
- Garland, Wyoming, a village in Park County, Wyoming
- In the anime Megazone 23, Garland is a combat motorcycle used by the protagonist Shogo Yahagi.
- In the Final Fantasy series of video games, Garland is the name of the main antagonist in several installments (I, Dawn of Souls, IX).
- In 8-Bit Theater, a webcomic which parodies Final Fantasy I, Garland was the Light Warriors' first major opponent.
- A Character from the anime Beyblade.
- In Ys: The Oath in Felghana Garland is the semi-final boss of the game.
garland in German: Garland
garland in Italian: Final Fantasy IX#Personaggi
garland in Dutch: Garland
garland in Polish: Garland
garland in Slovenian: Garland
garland in Swedish: Garland
garland in Volapük: Garland
Festschrift, O, Old Mug, achievement, album, alerion, ana, analects, animal charge, annular muscle, annulet, annulus, anthology, areola, argent, armorial bearings, armory, arms, aureole, azure, bandeau, bar, bar sinister, baton, bays, bead, bearings, beauties, bejewel, bend, bend sinister, beribbon, bespangle, billet, blazon, blazonry, book of verse, bordure, boughpot, bouquet, boutonniere, broad arrow, buttonhole, cadency mark, canon, canton, chaplet, charge, chevron, chief, chrestomathy, circle, circlet, circuit, circumference, circus, civic crown, closed circle, coat of arms, cockatrice, coil, collectanea, collected works, collection, compilation, complete works, corona, coronal, coronet, corsage, crescent, crest, cross, cross moline, crown, cup, cycle, decorate, delectus, device, diadem, diamond, difference, differencing, discus, disk, eagle, encircle, engrave, ermine, ermines, erminites, erminois, escutcheon, eternal return, fairy ring, falcon, feather, fess, fess point, festoon, field, figure, file, filigree, flag, flanch, fleur-de-lis, florilegium, flounce, flower, flower arrangement, flowers, fret, fur, fusil, garden, gem, glory, griffin, gules, gyron, halo, hatchment, helmet, heraldic device, honor point, illuminate, impalement, impaling, inescutcheon, jewel, label, lasso, laurel, laurels, lei, lion, logical circle, loop, looplet, loving cup, lozenge, magic circle, mantling, marshaling, martlet, mascle, metal, miscellanea, miscellany, motto, mullet, nombril point, noose, nosegay, octofoil, omnibus, or, orbit, ordinary, orle, paint, pale, palm, palms, paly, pean, pheon, photograph album, plume, poesy, poetic works, posy, pot, purpure, quarter, quartering, quotation book, radius, ribbon, ring, rondelle, rose, round, roundel, sable, saltire, saucer, scrapbook, scutcheon, shield, spangle, sphincter, spiral, spray, spread eagle, subordinary, symposium, tenne, tincture, tinsel, torse, tressure, trophy, unicorn, vair, vert, vicious circle, wheel, wreath, wreathe, yale